1. Tell your custom framer where your object will be displayed.
- Light, humidity and temperature can all affect your artwork.
- For a photo hung near a window, for instance, it is worth installing glass with the highest UV protection even though the cost is a bit higher.
2. Ask whether your artwork, photo or other property will stay on the premises while the frame is made.
- Some framers “farm out” work to subcontractors.
- ABC Photo does all work in-house.
3. Make sure your framer uses archival materials.
- Matboards and backboards should be “acid-free,” “pH neutral” or “archival” so your artwork is protected from yellowing, fading and other damage.